How to Make Play Dough
My girls absolutely love Play Dough for playing. The sight of these beautiful colorful doughs brings a big smile on their face. So much creativity can be explored and encouraged to kids. However I find it annoying that these do not last long. The beautiful soft colors of yellow, green and pink soon converts into messy murky browns half on my floor, some on the furnishings and some on the face of my kids. A great fun element soon turns into a turn off for me personally. Buying them over and over again means a lot.
Making play dough at home is not that difficult. Especially when these supplies are needed all the time it is a cost effective way to make play dough at home. Not only will it be soft for hours but also save your wallet. Previously we used to get play doughs of singular colors only. But now with this recipe you can have multiple shades. Nothing can be more exciting than giving kids an endless supply of colorful and attractive doughs.
How to Make Play Dough at home:
- Gather water almost 2.5 cup
- Salt 1 and ¼ ounce
- Tartar cream of 1 and half tablespoon
- Vegetable oil -5 tablespoons
- Flour – 2.5 cups
- Liquefied watercolors or food coloring ingredients whatever is handy
How to do it:
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients barring the food coloring agent. Make a smooth mix and make sure it does not become lumpy in texture. Also as you cook the dough will become smoother.
- Now in a low flame cook this dough. Stir frequently so the mixture is smooth. As you cook notice that the water will slowly come out. And it will make the dough look moist in appearance. Continue mixing it. Mix till the side and bottom of the dough sides are totally dry. Pinch out a piece of dough. If you find it to be not gooey then the dough is ready.
- Now place this dough on the kitchen counter top. Use the cutting board.
- The dough must be now kneaded till it is really smooth. Divide this dough into different colors. In each flattened dough ball add the color of your choice. Now kneed it more. Continue till you get great shades of color on the dough.
- Use a zip lock bag and store this dough immediately. Even if you don’t use it will be stored for months.
It is true that as the kids will grow up their interest on playing with these homemade doughs will be reduced. Probably they will play with something more interesting. One can preserve this dough made in the zip lock or an air tight container will help you store them for months. So if there is a sudden urgency to entertain kids and you are unable to go out buying play dough then this is the best option. One can use this recipe and learn how to make play dough at home.
Playing Dough can even be bought online from ebay India using their coupons & added to your kid’s toys collection. Playing with dough is one of the best games we all had in our childhood. Hope we all remember!